Windshield / Windscreen options?

Real men don't need windshields, especially if the bike didn't come with one. Look at all the hardcore riders going for thousand of miles without a windshield. Tough as nails, not a bunch of wusses.
The r18 base model, like the one I have, I can ride all day at freeway speeds with no buffeting at all. It is probably the best bike without a windshield I have ever owned. Viva El Diablo run!!!!
The windscreen on my Classic is off most of the year. No buffeting at highway speeds and a nice cooling breeze.

But as it gets cooler, I like cutting the cold wind down with the windshield. Last winter I rode my Classic as low as 20F. My fully naked bikes are too cold to go below 40F.

If you want to ride year round and live in a part of the world with seasons, windscreens can extend the temperature range you can still be comfortable.

My Clearview windshield just arrived. Impressive piece that I have every confidence will transform the Classic pocket. I bought the 19.5” tall, +1.5” wider, add recurve in clear.

Here is the Clearview mounted after spraying out the holder in black. I’m 5-10” with a 29” inseam, so I’m all torso. Sitting on the Day Rider puts my helmet at just about the perfect height. Much lower turbulence and a slight rise of the head and my helmet intakes pull in nice fresh air. I was able to ditch the GS-esque visor that was mandatory on the stock screen. Very pleased … especially now that the hurricane has moved on and the cooler weather is finally arriving in South Carolina.

838A3422-7C95-4AEE-A0FA-57CE74BA35CA.jpeg

my 19.5" clearview sheild order just arrived and fixed it on the bike.
But im having a difficultly in my view as its on the middle of my view while driving. Any suggestions.
Im still having the buffering but much more less then the original windsheild

No insights regarding Clearview brand screen, never used that brand. My knowledge of airflow is limited though my thinking is as follows.
  • A dual screen setup is great (example MRA). By design some air comes in from under the first screen then when it hits the inner second screen it creates a vortex air flow effect which creates an extra upward push on air coming over the first screen. That helps prevent helmet buffeting.
  • Also, I wonder if having fork lower screens can assist to prevent helmet buffeting. In the case of the MadStad screen & lowers I have it is possible the lowers might channel upward some air flow which might to a small degree assist in lessening helmet buffeting.
  • I keep forgetting the name of it but there is a rubber windscreen trim that one can purchase and press on the edge of your screen (it has a slight curve effect in the trim that creates an effect that rolls the air as it goes up over the screen, making it go higher up than normal to lessen/prevent helmet buffeting.
  • Last thought would be to purchase one of the small min-screen clip on pieces that goes right above the top of your screen to assist with stopping helmet buffeting.

Going to put my R18 Classic FE original windscreen on Facebook marketplace and/or eBay. Seeking opinions on what a fair price to ask would be? It's flawless... Thanks!

Got the 21" Clearview. I am 6'2" and do not have buffeting. However, I get a lot of wind from below that creates noise in my helmet. Have also installed wind deflectors from Memphis Shades which helps but still too much wind from below.

Just installed the 21-inch Clearview recurved shield on my R18 Classic. I’m 6-4 and look at the road over top of the shield. Will be interesting to see whether this eliminates the buffering I got with the stock windscreen.

26A00873-BFDF-486E-8CE6-F895FEEF4032.jpeg

The taller the windshield creates more negative pressure between the rider and windscreen.This causes wind to travel up the nose and slaps the face.I'm 6'2" and my 18 inch,Long Ride Shields(LRS) with the curve is perfect.The 20 inch put quite a bit of wind in my face and did not work as well.
Of course a full face helmet always helps.
Just my 2cents.

4C53F582-931E-4C1C-AB4D-5EB64BDB173A.jpegF3BF408C-A7CD-4C13-9CA4-368BB1C2C767.jpeg
I am 6’3” with a 33” inseam. I bought the Puig and I like the way it looks and I like its functionality. It was inexpensive, is well made and fairly straightforward to install. I don’t experience any buffeting in the helmet and took the wind blast off my chest. No more hanging on for dear life at speeds above 60 mph. If a quick release had been optional for a reasonable price I likely would have gone in that direction. Reality is that the shield would remain on the bike 95% of the time anyway so I am very pleased with my purchase.

my 19.5" clearview sheild order just arrived and fixed it on the bike.
But im having a difficultly in my view as its on the middle of my view while driving. Any suggestions.
Im still having the buffering but much more less then the original windsheild
I, too, purchased the Clearview Shields windscreen. I like it, but it didn't seem to do much about the buffeting. AND, that's because the buffeting is coming from below. For me, the proper fix has been is to simply add a set of lower wind deflectors (Memphis Shades: Fork Deflectors for XV1900 Roadliner × 1). Less than $100. Trial and error. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• D8E6B5ED-06EC-4B04-A265-B45BC212446F.jpeg
    D8E6B5ED-06EC-4B04-A265-B45BC212446F.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 55
I, too, purchased the Clearview Shields windscreen. I like it, but it didn't seem to do much about the buffeting. AND, that's because the buffeting is coming from below. For me, the proper fix has been is to simply add a set of lower wind deflectors (Memphis Shades: Fork Deflectors for XV1900 Roadliner × 1). Less than $100. Trial and error. 🤷‍♂️
It didnt come in my mind it would be the air coming from below, ill order it and test it.

I have a Classic and the wind noise and buffeting are no better and no worse than any other stock windshield on other bikes I've owned. IOW, it's not perfectly smooth and quiet but it works for it's intended purpose which is to take the edge off cold and wet weather. If I want to travel in quite buffet free comfort I'll take my truck. The wind, sounds, and weather are all part of the experience for me. To be fair my motorcycle is a toy. It's not my main mode of transportation. I may feel differently if it was. There were times in my life where a motorcycle was my only ride and in every instance they were naked bikes (CB750, CB550 and a Sportster). Again, to be fair, I was a heck of a lot younger then. I was willing to put up with stuff I wouldn't tolerate now. For example, I'll never own another car/truck without heated seats. :p

I'm definitely not a fan of add on laminar lips, lowers, etc. They ruin the aesthetic of the bike IMO. Besides, it's a motorcycle. It's supposed to be windy. Please keep in mind I'm talking about me and me only. I have no opinion about what others do or prefer.

Having said all that if somebody manufacturers a 2" taller replacement windshield I can attach to the OEM mounting system I'll probably buy one. There's a little buffeting on the Classic and I suspect a slightly taller shield will deflect it just over my head. FWIW, I'm 6" even. I also agree with the comments about the helmet. A quality helmet can make all the difference in the world in regards to buffeting and noise. Something as simple as a visor that is completely secure when down. One of my helmets is an HJC and the visor rattles when it's down. It's not gawdawful but it is annoying. To use my own words against me, "It's part of the experience". :LOL:
There is actually an 18" tall shield (OEM shield from the Classic is 16") that goes with OEM mounting system here:
https://www.clearviewshields.com/motorcycle-windshields/bmw/bmw-r18-classic-replacement-windshield/

I am just waiting for the right moment to get it ;-)

I agree that riding is about the experience. What each of us desire from the experience varies greatly. Some are shorter distance riders and others are longer distance riders. Out of those two groups there are those who care more about appearance and then those who care more about function and of course folks who fall anywhere in between. My personal preference is to ride longer distances and therefor as a result function is of upmost preference however I do still love the look of the bike and don’t want to mess it up. Anything that is a “minor” annoyance that distracts from my riding focus though must be addressed regardless if it is an adjustment that can be made to the machine or an adjustment to my riding gear. Take care and ride safe!

Back