Windshield / Windscreen options?

Looks great David. The permanent mount does seem to allow for a lower position. Looking forward to the report. I'm just too timid to permanently alter the stock screen, and there are times where when I'm just tooling around town that it's nice to just be able to remove it.

I have been riding motorcycles for almost fifty years now. I almost exclusively spent the first twenty on nakeds - that was all we had - and the next twenty on a mix of naked roadsters as well as sport/super-bikes and cafe racers - the latter with bikini bubbles or racing fairings. The last ten years have seen me acquire some feet-forward rides and bikes with farings and shields - mostly to ensure that my wife keeps on riding with me regularly.

Even with a clip/bolt-on spoiler, a windshield alone can generally not solve all wind-related issues - sheer wind force, buffeting, noise, and stability in crosswinds. On my Goldwing with its large frame-mounted full fairing and Moto55® windshield, I nevertheless needed to add Baker Built® winglets on the sides. On the Chief Vintage, with a full ClearView® windshield, it also needed lower OEM windshields (mounted to the front forks) and a Kuryakyn® deflector below the triple tree. On the Cross Country with its handlebar-mounted fairing and Klock Werks® shield, I added lower OEM deflectors mounted on both sides below the fairing and a Bad Ace Billet® cut-off on the triple tree to stop wind rushing in from below - from in between the lower edge of the fairing and front fender.

And each of those ended up only being the best compromise, nothing close to two-thumbs-up. But that is me.

When I ride alone, I ride nakeds. I use motorcycle-specific earplugs and a quality full-face helmet. Very little noise, zero buffetings, and I can hear the phone and GPS clearly on Bluetooth. Oh, and I use backrests on the feet-forward rides. It helps the lower back on long rides and reduces the parachute tension on the arms.

Hi all,
I have yet to consider a windshield but with my long torso I am a wizard at solving head buffet. I have a little wunderlich spoiler... its just 6 nches wide and installs in about three minutes on any windhsield. for reference i used to have my GS windshield almost all the way down and combine with it I got no buffet... at any speed. And I mean speeds greater that I probably want to consider riding my R18 :)

I know already I have no interest in a windshield... but much like bags, I have the BMW messenger type bags on my R18. I'll get the puig and add the spoiler so I can quickly remove the windscreen for 80 percent of my riding.

there are way cheaper options... I can only vouch for the wunderlich. It is wind tunnel tested and Germerman engineer approved

I have been riding motorcycles for almost fifty years now. I almost exclusively spent the first twenty on nakeds - that was all we had - and the next twenty on a mix of naked roadsters as well as sport/super-bikes and cafe racers - the latter with bikini bubbles or racing fairings. The last ten years have seen me acquire some feet-forward rides and bikes with farings and shields - mostly to ensure that my wife keeps on riding with me regularly.

Even with a clip/bolt-on spoiler, a windshield alone can generally not solve all wind-related issues - sheer wind force, buffeting, noise, and stability in crosswinds. On my Goldwing with its large frame-mounted full fairing and Moto55® windshield, I nevertheless needed to add Baker Built® winglets on the sides. On the Chief Vintage, with a full ClearView® windshield, it also needed lower OEM windshields (mounted to the front forks) and a Kuryakyn® deflector below the triple tree. On the Cross Country with its handlebar-mounted fairing and Klock Werks® shield, I added lower OEM deflectors mounted on both sides below the fairing and a Bad Ace Billet® cut-off on the triple tree to stop wind rushing in from below - from in between the lower edge of the fairing and front fender.

And each of those ended up only being the best compromise, nothing close to two-thumbs-up. But that is me.

When I ride alone, I ride nakeds. I use motorcycle-specific earplugs and a quality full-face helmet. Very little noise, zero buffetings, and I can hear the phone and GPS clearly on Bluetooth. Oh, and I use backrests on the feet-forward rides. It helps the lower back on long rides and reduces the parachute tension on the arms.
I am also a fan of a helmet based solution. I have a very nice Arai with a chin dam. so much of this buffet is perceived... its eliminated with the right helmet. for long trips I am going to put together a windshield solution but my dealer was good enough to let my first ride be a 200 mile test ride. with the right helmet I am fine up to 80 + mph

I just fitted the MRA extension onto my classic windscreen. It really works great. I wasn't really bothered by the helmet noise, but this was cheap, so I figured Id try it. The instructions stink though. Follow the pictures.

You have a couple of options with it. You can configure it so that it is a fixed height and just pivots so that the angle is more upright or more back towards the rider Or, you can add an arm so that it is adjustable up and down as well as tilt. I have it with the arm. That moves the deflector away and forward of the screen. I'll try it without the arms to check out the difference. In any case, to my senses anyway, It's total calm behind the thing. And if you feel like taking it off, it's a 30 second job.

View attachment 1616

View attachment 1617

View attachment 1618View attachment 1619
Is there a particular part number for the extension?

I am also a fan of a helmet based solution. I have a very nice Arai with a chin dam. so much of this buffet is perceived... its eliminated with the right helmet. for long trips I am going to put together a windshield solution but my dealer was good enough to let my first ride be a 200 mile test ride. with the right helmet I am fine up to 80 + mph
Classic with a standard windshield? How tall are you? I am 6ft and get quite a bit of helmet shake over 65. Schuberth c4 pro helmet.

I have a Classic and the wind noise and buffeting are no better and no worse than any other stock windshield on other bikes I've owned. IOW, it's not perfectly smooth and quiet but it works for it's intended purpose which is to take the edge off cold and wet weather. If I want to travel in quite buffet free comfort I'll take my truck. The wind, sounds, and weather are all part of the experience for me. To be fair my motorcycle is a toy. It's not my main mode of transportation. I may feel differently if it was. There were times in my life where a motorcycle was my only ride and in every instance they were naked bikes (CB750, CB550 and a Sportster). Again, to be fair, I was a heck of a lot younger then. I was willing to put up with stuff I wouldn't tolerate now. For example, I'll never own another car/truck without heated seats. :p

I'm definitely not a fan of add on laminar lips, lowers, etc. They ruin the aesthetic of the bike IMO. Besides, it's a motorcycle. It's supposed to be windy. Please keep in mind I'm talking about me and me only. I have no opinion about what others do or prefer.

Having said all that if somebody manufacturers a 2" taller replacement windshield I can attach to the OEM mounting system I'll probably buy one. There's a little buffeting on the Classic and I suspect a slightly taller shield will deflect it just over my head. FWIW, I'm 6" even. I also agree with the comments about the helmet. A quality helmet can make all the difference in the world in regards to buffeting and noise. Something as simple as a visor that is completely secure when down. One of my helmets is an HJC and the visor rattles when it's down. It's not gawdawful but it is annoying. To use my own words against me, "It's part of the experience". :LOL:

Last edited:
I'm definitely not a fan of add on laminar lips, lowers, etc. They ruin the aesthetic of the bike IMO. Besides, it's a motorcycle. It's supposed to be windy. Please keep in mind I'm talking about me and me only. I have no opinion about what others do or prefer.
Ended up coming the same conclusion. In fact, to me, I ended up concluding that both the aesthetic and experience for the Classic are best with the windscreen completely removed. As you mention, in cold and wet weather, the windscreen would be a help, but I won't be riding the R18 in those conditions anyway. My R1250GS, sure....but the windscreen (and heated everything) make that a manageable experience.

Any recommendations as to which aftermarket windshield manufacturer would be good to pester concerning an aftermarket option for the R18?

I think quite a bit of buffeting is generated by the mirrors. I had more buffeting on the right side than the left and I have noticed that the mirrors were not aloghned the same. Ended up moving the right mirror slightly toward myself and most of the buffeting Is gone.

Back