BMW (Mustang) Seat options breakdown

The stock seat is the best fit for the R18's stance, IMHO. I ride mine solo, and I do not find the stock seat too hard on short trips, say two hours maximum in the saddle. I use my AirHawk®, which I share with several other bikes, for longer rides. Just unhook it when you are done, and it is no harder on the seat surface than a pair of jeans would be. I have not found a custom seat that beats an Airhawk® on comfort - again, that's me. I have two larger AirHawk®'s for my wife and me that we use when we tour with the Goldwing or Chief Vintage.

View attachment 1114
View attachment 1115
yes, a pillow is always a good option, specially when you have a lot of bikes.

I have finally taken a day to ride my new Mustang "Weekender" seat and the improvement over the OEM seat is HUGE. Hitting bumps is no longer an exercise in butt & spine abuse.
Installation was easy, but it should be noted that the new seat also replaces the OEM seat strap with a larger loop and that the OEM rear seat retainer spools are replaced with a single spool behind the front seat. Installing the rear seat onto the bike requires a firm downward pressure at the front half to engage the spool. Not a big deal, but different from the ease of the OEM parts.
Mustang seat 2.jpgMustang seat.jpg

Today my bride took a ride with me on the R18 FOR THE FIRST TIME. She sat on the OEM seat in the showroom and said that she would have nothing to do with it. I couldn't blame her. It was obviously intended to give riders a reason to ride solo.
NOW with the Mustang "Weekender" seats on the bike she was excited to take a ride. After nearly a hundred miles, she has pronounced it good for a ride. That's not to say that she likes it as much as the Indian Roadmaster (parked in the same shop), but it's "good".
I've gotta do some scheduling... we need to ride the "Tail of the Dragon" soon... ;)

Last edited:
Picked up my BMW R 18 Classic Day Rider Seats & Backrest today. Very comfortable so far, will take it out this afternoon for a ride to check out. Will put me over 500 miles on the bike, so will be ready for first service after this. Still awaiting the floorboards and heel/toe shifter to come in at Wooly's Cycles of Atlanta. When at Wooly's today, there were two more R 18 Classics on the sale floor.

Could you please share the Part Number for the rider backrest? I purchased an R18 yesterday and it already came fitted with the "Cross Country Seat"

My Mustang riders backrest was delivered this week. Maybe they will start showing up for you guys soon

I sat on a few R18s today at the BMW dealership and got a chance to try out the 2-up Day Rider and the one piece Fastback seat. Although I didn’t get to ride test the seats, the Day Rider felt far superior in comfort to the stock. The stock seat has clean lines and looks marvelous though. I also saw the one piece Roland Sands Designcustom solo seat on display. Looks gorgeous but didn’t particularly look more comfortable.

Has any seen a R18 with brown Mustang seats? Does it go with the color way?

I sat on a few R18s today at the BMW dealership and got a chance to try out the 2-up Day Rider and the one piece Fastback seat. Although I didn’t get to ride test the seats, the Day Rider felt far superior in comfort to the stock. The stock seat has clean lines and looks marvelous though. I also saw the one piece Roland Sands Designcustom solo seat on display. Looks gorgeous but didn’t particularly look more comfortable.

Has any seen a R18 with brown Mustang seats? Does it go with the color way?
Longshot has one

I have one. Also bought the brown matching rider backrest. The backrest is angle adjustable and also height adjustable. I bought it to use for longer rides only. I like the brown because I think it gives it more of a vintage look to the bike, but thats just my opinion. Black looks good too. I can take some pictures if somebody wants

Pics would be great, Longshot.

Quick question - do you know if the Day Rider is taller than the Weekender or Cross Country?
No clue on those 2. The dealer didn't have any seats in stock yet. They ordered this one for me with no commitment to buy if I didnt like it (which I thought was nice). I liked it and bought it. I do know it is taller than the stock seat and slightly lower than the "high" seat they offer

I just got off the phone with Trish at Mustang seats and she gave me a bit of a primer on the offerings by BMW on the seats that are OEM'd by Mustang. As we all know the dealers have little to no information on the seats, so we are left to either buying them blind and hoping that they will be what we want. To me, I am looking for a better seat that doesn't have the requirement of the pillion part.

"Day Rider Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It has slightly more padding then the stock seat and is a more retro style. Seat Height - 27.4"

"The Weekender Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "Day Rider Seat" and has more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.4"

"The Cross Country Seat" - This is a one-piece design. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "The Weekender Seat" and has even more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.7"
Thanks Svtweb. Is there any update on the "spring" or "Harmony" seat I think its called ? Astounding that BMW is taking so long to release it would be a game changer for me for sure - although it may not solve the pillion issue. But with the spring seat one could ostensibly let out the rear shock as far as one would dare to give the pillion the comfort needed while rider is beautifully insulated from bumps with the spring seat.

Back