BMW (Mustang) Seat options breakdown

I just got off the phone with Trish at Mustang seats and she gave me a bit of a primer on the offerings by BMW on the seats that are OEM'd by Mustang. As we all know the dealers have little to no information on the seats, so we are left to either buying them blind and hoping that they will be what we want. To me, I am looking for a better seat that doesn't have the requirement of the pillion part.

"Day Rider Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It has slightly more padding then the stock seat and is a more retro style. Seat Height - 27.4"

"The Weekender Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "Day Rider Seat" and has more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.4"

"The Cross Country Seat" - This is a one-piece design. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "The Weekender Seat" and has even more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.7"
i was referring in my previous reply to this seat - thought I would upload to clarify my question . The spring option is so good for me as it would isolate my weak back from being battered by the potholed roads we have here in my country .

Attachments

• 16-general--2329.jpeg
    16-general--2329.jpeg
    896 KB · Views: 50
i was referring in my previous reply to this seat - thought I would upload to clarify my question . The spring option is so good for me as it would isolate my weak back from being battered by the potholed roads we have here in my country .

It is the BMW Homage saddle and it is not a spring one

More info HERE

It is the BMW Homage saddle and it is not a spring one

More info HERE
Yes I stand corrected - Homage saddle . However they claim they dont have it nor will... till October 2021 or thereafter. Which is a bit disappointing. My reason for calling it a "spring" saddle :) even though the term may be incorrect, is because it kind of harkens back to the old vintage bikes I used to ride - BSA, Norton that had rigid frames or vile little plunger rear dampening .. the only thing that would make them a pleasure to ride was the "spring" seat that looked a lot like this Homage seat except that there were ye big springs under the saddle that isolated rider from frame. I thought that something similar (albeit prettier) must have gone into the Homage seat. I will check the link you kindly provided. Thanks

Last edited:
Yes I stand corrected - Homage saddle . However they claim they dont have it nor will... till October 2021 or thereafter. Which is a bit disappointing. My reason for calling it a "spring" saddle :) even though the term may be incorrect, is because it kind of harkens back to the old vintage bikes I used to ride - BSA, Norton that had rigid frames or vile little plunger rear dampening .. the only thing that would make them a pleasure to ride was the "spring" seat that looked a lot like this Homage seat except that there were ye big springs under the saddle that isolated rider from frame. I thought that something similar (albeit prettier) must have gone into the Homage seat. I will check the link you kindly provided. Thanks
Subsequently I have checked out your link and am astounded to find that the Homage is indeed on sale and all the information needed is there as plain as day ... I have an email from Bmw Motorrad de saying what I reported above ... October 2021 is the earliest :oops:

I just got off the phone with Trish at Mustang seats and she gave me a bit of a primer on the offerings by BMW on the seats that are OEM'd by Mustang. As we all know the dealers have little to no information on the seats, so we are left to either buying them blind and hoping that they will be what we want. To me, I am looking for a better seat that doesn't have the requirement of the pillion part.

"Day Rider Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It has slightly more padding then the stock seat and is a more retro style. Seat Height - 27.4"

"The Weekender Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "Day Rider Seat" and has more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.4"

"The Cross Country Seat" - This is a one-piece design. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "The Weekender Seat" and has even more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.7"
Thanks a lot for the breakdown, it is very useful. I got the black Day Rider Seat and after 2000km I can confirm, that it is a worthwhile investment.

Emailing with Mustang, they said they are not going to sell the current seats by themselves for our R18, only trough the BMW Dealers. Asking about the Weekender at the US, they don’t know when is going to be available at the dealers. So sad, but I appreciate the honesty

Emailing with Mustang, they said they are not going to sell the current seats by themselves for our R18, only trough the BMW Dealers. Asking about the Weekender at the US, they don’t know when is going to be available at the dealers. So sad, but I appreciate the honesty
BMW has really treated all of us R18 owners terribly with regard to follow-through in getting accessories to market. It is especially bad considering all of the hype they threw at as about availability. Can’t even get a shop manual yet. It is all about their $$ and total disregard for the customers. A smart company can manage both to its greatest advantage. I hope they suffer greatly financially for these stupid mistakes they’ve made. That’s probably the only thing that will get their attention. Over engineered has been replaced with over sold.

Thanks a lot for the breakdown, it is very useful. I got the black Day Rider Seat and after 2000km I can confirm, that it is a worthwhile investment.
can you explain us the “level” of comfort on the Day Rider seat versus de stock seat? And, how much time did you ride on the Day Rider with no stops?

Latest info from the dealer is cross country seat on order will (maybe) show up in October. So pulled the pin and ordered a dual touring seat from Corbin. Guess I'll use my $750 BMW credit on a new pair of boots and a jacket...

can you explain us the “level” of comfort on the Day Rider seat versus de stock seat? And, how much time did you ride on the Day Rider with no stops?
Hola Luis, I found the stock seat already pretty comfortable. However, the Day Rider gives me even more hold on the back and I have no trouble to ride from one tank filling to the other.

Hola Luis, I found the stock seat already pretty comfortable. However, the Day Rider gives me even more hold on the back and I have no trouble to ride from one tank filling to the other.
complete answer. Thanks a lot. If the weekender still doesn’t available I’ll go for the Day Rider

If you are looking to do serious riding, multiple 500+ mile days, go with the Corbin or the ultimate the RDL.
If not, choose whatever blows your skirt up.

1520 miles.jpg

BMW has really treated all of us R18 owners terribly with regard to follow-through in getting accessories to market. It is especially bad considering all of the hype they threw at as about availability. Can’t even get a shop manual yet. It is all about their $$ and total disregard for the customers. A smart company can manage both to its greatest advantage. I hope they suffer greatly financially for these stupid mistakes they’ve made. That’s probably the only thing that will get their attention. Over engineered has been replaced with over sold.
I'm sorta kinda feel the same way. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that maybe the fault lies entirely on the China virus thats flipped the world upside down the last year and a half. As things hopefully get back to normal they'll get some parts and accessories made and shipped out

So I’m interested in putting in an order for either the Weekender or Crosscountry seat this weekend. Because someone mentioned it and I’ve had them before, I called Sargent seat. They said even though Sargent talked about making a seat for the R18 they decided not to build one. I wanted to add this information in case anyone was waiting for an offering from them.

Now for my question to you. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Weekender to the Crosscountry by sitting on both? I have an old back injury and with the stock seat on my R18 Classic I feel like I’d be more comfortable with a higher seat. My knees are raised up with the R18 Classic seat and I find I get aching in my left hip after an hour.

According to the specs the Crosscountry is .3 taller than the Weekender but I’m not sure you’d notice the difference. 99% of the time I don’t have a passenger so while I don’t think I’d remove the passenger pillion I know on the Weekender it can be removed but the Crosscountry the seat is one piece. Also I don’t usually go for more than a 100 mile ride at a time. Any opinions on comparing the two seats?

So I’m interested in putting in an order for either the Weekender or Crosscountry seat this weekend. Because someone mentioned it and I’ve had them before, I called Sargent seat. They said even though Sargent talked about making a seat for the R18 they decided not to build one. I wanted to add this information in case anyone was waiting for an offering from them.

Now for my question to you. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Weekender to the Crosscountry by sitting on both? I have an old back injury and with the stock seat on my R18 Classic I feel like I’d be more comfortable with a higher seat. My knees are raised up with the R18 Classic seat and I find I get aching in my left hip after an hour.

According to the specs the Crosscountry is .3 taller than the Weekender but I’m not sure you’d notice the difference. 99% of the time I don’t have a passenger so while I don’t think I’d remove the passenger pillion I know on the Weekender it can be removed but the Crosscountry the seat is one piece. Also I don’t usually go for more than a 100 mile ride at a time. Any opinions on comparing the two seats?
I had the Crosscountry for 1.500 km. and is excellent. I sell it because is ugly (for me obviously) the rear pillion. Now I bought the Weekender. Waiting for it, I’ll tell you the difference… in one or two weeks

Back