Exhaust manifold/ Headers

Will work on sound clip....

Bike is bren tuned
I like the overall length! Do you get the rumble that one expects from those big jugs? I completed my project of shortening the fishtails and removing the taillight/license plate bracket. This shows off the rear wheel better. It also increased the rear opening three times larger compared to the fishtail tips. The modules have been disconnected but not removed. It now has a deeper tone and not as much of the engine whine. I’ll send the pics separately (file too large)7D0347CD-C027-4A1E-84FA-31257C241C87.jpeg

I’m curious, what was the process / equipment used to trim the fishtails?
Not knowing exactly what internal components I had to deal with, I initially used a 4.5” cutting wheel. That was mistake because I ended w fiberglass all over!! You had to cut thru stainless steel, fiberglass, steel wool, and perforated stainless steel. I recommend hack saw or band saw if you have one to do the rough cut and finesse w a 4.5 cutting/grinding wheel. Wrap the fishtail w a towel to prevent dents and scratches. Save the fishtail remnants for the end caps. Cut the exact opening on the caps for the perforated oval tube first. Tight fitting makes for cleaner weld. This goes for the caps to inside openings of the fishtails. Fitting the caps took the longest on the project.

I mig welded because it is what I have. The great thing about the project is that you are dealing w stainless steel. You can screw up, grind it, and polish it out!! I suggest tig welding because you can finesse the weld better. I bought an extra set of fishtails just in case I screwed up. I didn’t but I’m glad I got them because I was able to ride during the project!! Also have a spare now just in case I lay my baby down.

It was a tedious project but well worth it!! It looks and sounds awesome!! The rear opening is three times larger!! And no extra cost!! Let me know if you have any questions.

Not knowing exactly what internal components I had to deal with, I initially used a 4.5” cutting wheel. That was mistake because I ended w fiberglass all over!! You had to cut thru stainless steel, fiberglass, steel wool, and perforated stainless steel. I recommend hack saw or band saw if you have one to do the rough cut and finesse w a 4.5 cutting/grinding wheel. Wrap the fishtail w a towel to prevent dents and scratches. Save the fishtail remnants for the end caps. Cut the exact opening on the caps for the perforated oval tube first. Tight fitting makes for cleaner weld. This goes for the caps to inside openings of the fishtails. Fitting the caps took the longest on the project.

I mig welded because it is what I have. The great thing about the project is that you are dealing w stainless steel. You can screw up, grind it, and polish it out!! I suggest tig welding because you can finesse the weld better. I bought an extra set of fishtails just in case I screwed up. I didn’t but I’m glad I got them because I was able to ride during the project!! Also have a spare now just in case I lay my baby down.

It was a tedious project but well worth it!! It looks and sounds awesome!! The rear opening is three times larger!! And no extra cost!! Let me know if you have any questions.
I too purchased a 2nd set of fishtails to have them modified. I was going to cut the lower inside quarter and gut them.
Do you by chance have a picture of the inside after you made the cut?

I too purchased a 2nd set of fishtails to have them modified. I was going to cut the lower inside quarter and gut them.
I do but just where I had cut them. I didn’t gut them because my Harley days are over😄. Was so excited to hear the new deeper tone so I had installed them temporarily. Disconnected the cables but didn’t remove the flapper modules.

Attachments

• 88906701-42BC-4044-B040-4E8C75230168.jpeg
    88906701-42BC-4044-B040-4E8C75230168.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
If you plan to cut open the fishtails, gut them, then put them back together to keep the original look. You may want to check out the attached cut-up fish tip.

Attachments

• 2871C0FD-2DF5-4837-8B83-DC46049B64F4.jpeg
    2871C0FD-2DF5-4837-8B83-DC46049B64F4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
Back