R18 - Aftermarket ECU options

IMG_0003-2.jpg
Manual is okay with 87,89 or 91(93 if your area has it, we don't) While traveling to Kentucky I had to use 87 sometimes.The R18C ran fine.
I'm running a sidecar and get 25 to 30 mpg at 70-75mph.40 if I am running 60mph .My bike doesn't ping and runs well on pump gas.Carring a additive and stopping every 100 miles for gas is unrealistic for me.I have 12,000 miles in 6 months on this bike and have another bike I ride.Both bikes are tuned.Makes a world of difference and no gas issues.Don't notice a difference with 10% or zero ethanol fuel when traveling. I am a touring and daily rider so I don't want a bike that is tweeky or have issues with gasoline.Been there in my younger days with over built engines.Not judging your opinion just doing what works for me.

View attachment 4046
Manual is okay with 87,89 or 91(93 if your area has it, we don't) While traveling to Kentucky I had to use 87 sometimes.The R18C ran fine.
I'm running a sidecar and get 25 to 30 mpg at 70-75mph.40 if I am running 60mph .My bike doesn't ping and runs well on pump gas.Carring a additive and stopping every 100 miles for gas is unrealistic for me.I have 12,000 miles in 6 months on this bike and have another bike I ride.Both bikes are tuned.Makes a world of difference and no gas issues.Don't notice a difference with 10% or zero ethanol fuel when traveling. I am a touring and daily rider so I don't want a bike that is tweeky or have issues with gasoline.Been there in my younger days with over built engines.Not judging your opinion just doing what works for me.

I have two other bikes. One is a newer, 2nd generation 1800 Honda Valkyrie. The other is a 1700 Yamaha Warrior. I had *Ivan* reflash the Yamie's ECM. Made a huge difference! The Honda was absolutely perfect from the factory; totally amazing machine...extremely smooth and powerful... Both bikes imo run far better with ethacrap free fuel, or 10% treated fuel. I despise ethanol...I have many stories to corroburate my foul sentiment towards ethanol..but I wish not to digress. Anyway, I just bought a Classic last week...and am having it delivered this week. I am COMPLETELY interested in having the ECM reflashed. How do I go about having this done, and will it void my bike's warranty? Thanks!

Hearing you give such positive feedback to BrenTune bodes well.
The early K1600Bs had a very distinct off idle stumble, the Brent tune eliminated that. But so did the subsequent factory reflash.
I have not noticed any need for a retune of the R18. But then, the 1955 Chevy 265 V8 was a real hot rod in its day.

I have two other bikes. One is a newer, 2nd generation 1800 Honda Valkyrie. The other is a 1700 Yamaha Warrior. I had *Ivan* reflash the Yamie's ECM. Made a huge difference! The Honda was absolutely perfect from the factory; totally amazing machine...extremely smooth and powerful... Both bikes imo run far better with ethacrap free fuel, or 10% treated fuel. I despise ethanol...I have many stories to corroburate my foul sentiment towards ethanol..but I wish not to digress. Anyway, I just bought a Classic last week...and am having it delivered this week. I am COMPLETELY interested in having the ECM reflashed. How do I go about having this done, and will it void my bike's warranty? Thanks!

The tuner can do the stage 1 flash and reflash back to the factory setting.Leaving the stage 1 in may void the warranty if you take the bike to a dealer with it installed.I don't know....

I am sure if you ask someone that has their bike flashed they will have a different opinion than someone that does not have the tuner.
Call BT Moto (Chris) and talk with them.I see the prices went off sale.You can try the DCP150 code fo $150 off.Not sure if the code still works.
Yeah,I agree ethanol is a sore spot.No other option here...

Last edited by a moderator:

The tuner can do the stage 1 flash and reflash back to the factory setting.Leaving the stage 1 in may void the warranty if you take the bike to a dealer with it installed.I don't know....

I am sure if you ask someone that has their bike flashed they will have a different opinion than someone that does not have the tuner.
Call BT Moto (Chris) and talk with them.I see the prices went off sale.You can try the DCP150 code fo $150 off.Not sure if the code still works.
Yeah,I agree ethanol is a sore spot.No other option here...

Just called them. $150 discount is kaput.

I haven't even taken delivery of the bike yet...but I like the idea. Did wonders for my Warrior 1700.
I have not taken delivery of my Bentley Continental GT yet but have been surfing the interweb for the appropriate squeeze to accompany me.
Must also be compatible with the GT-40 and the Maybach and look stunning in a Brazilian thong bikini.

I have not taken delivery of my Bentley Continental GT yet but have been surfing the interweb for the appropriate squeeze to accompany me.
Must also be compatible with the GT-40 and the Maybach and look stunning in a Brazilian thong bikini.

I wish I could just pull the ECU and send it to them for the stage 1 tune. I have zero interest in making any modifications at all. I like stock bikes with stock exhaust.. Stock exhaust is usually of excellent quality ..and most of all...I want reliability and longevity...and a bike that's not too damn loud. $800 for a one time flash is a bit much.

I wish I could just pull the ECU and send it to them for the stage 1 tune. I have zero interest in making any modifications at all. I like stock bikes with stock exhaust.. Stock exhaust is usually of excellent quality ..and most of all...I want reliability and longevity...and a bike that's not too damn loud. $800 for a one time flash is a bit much.
As you have said you have no ECU to pull.
I like Brazilian women with nice tans.

Yeah,I was lucky to get the unit at a better price.I will say that the R18 has wide band O2 sensors.I think the only other bike that has these is the BMW S1000R.
This means the ecu will compensate in a broader scope.No need to dyno so you are saving $300-$400 there.
I am not changing the mufflers just added the end caps.The bike is really good stock.
Do you need a tune? NO!
Does the bike idle and run better with added tq?YES!
It is up to you to weigh out the benefits.
Last thing.BT does not want you to use their tuner till after the 1st service.Take your time and see if there is anyone around you that has a R18 tuned.Maybe a rally,like Az bike week or Laughlin River Run.The aftermarket will hopefully catch up if this model catches on.

Yeah,I was lucky to get the unit at a better price.I will say that the R18 has wide band O2 sensors.I think the only other bike that has these is the BMW S1000R.
This means the ecu will compensate in a broader scope.No need to dyno so you are saving $300-$400 there.
I am not changing the mufflers just added the end caps.The bike is really good stock.
Do you need a tune? NO!
Last thing.BT does not want you to use their tuner till after the 1st service.Take your time and see if there is anyone around you that has a R18 tuned.Maybe a rally,like Az bike week or Laughlin River Run.The aftermarket will hopefully catch up if this model catches on.
These bikes being delivered to the US woefully run too damn lean ...even snowblowers run too lean. In 2003 I bought a new Honda 110r0 Sabre...it had carbs...I remember removing plugs from the jets to get it to run smooth and strong. Made a difference. The Yamaha ran MUCH better after the reflash...I am expecting the R18 to do the same. This is my first non Japanese bike...I hope I bought a bike as reliable! I sure love it's looks and character. Reminds me of like an old Fokker D7 biplane!!

Do you need a tune? NO!
Why do you think they don't want you to use the tuner until after the 600 mile service? What other than the fluid changes do they do at 600 miles?

These bikes being delivered to the US woefully run too damn lean ...even snowblowers run too lean. In 2003 I bought a new Honda 110r0 Sabre...it had carbs...I remember removing plugs from the jets to get it to run smooth and strong. Made a difference. The Yamaha ran MUCH better after the reflash...I am expecting the R18 to do the same. This is my first non Japanese bike...I hope I bought a bike as reliable! I sure love it's looks and character. Reminds me of like an old Fokker D7 biplane!!
My bike runs much better on a mixture of diesel, isopropyl alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and draino with silver for the essential catalyst.

Why do you think they don't want you to use the tuner until after the 600 mile service? What other than the fluid changes do they do at 600 mile
Here are the questions I got from them to answer before thay sent the MAP:

1) Products paid for (Stage1/Stage2/CARB, etc) -
2) Customer First+Last name for file storage and future reference (no nicknames or emails) -
3) Year -
4) Make -
5) Model -
6) MAP1 Pump Fuel Octane (91/93 etc) and Brand (Shell V-Power recommended) -
7) MAP2 Racing Fuels if applicable
8) Last 7 of Vin# -
9) Full modification engine/transmission mod list (no need for aesthetics, lighting etc) -
10) Any previous tunes on bike from either us or someone else (competitor, ducati upmap and PC5/Bazazz included) -
11) Any fuel controllers (PC5, Bazazz) installed currently -
12) Are your stock O2 sensors all in place -
13) Any check engine light showing on dash (IF THERE ARE ISSUES WE MAY STOP THE PROCESS UNTIL YOU FIX THEM) -
14) Any current drivability issues (IF THERE ARE ISSUES WE MAY STOP THE PROCESS UNTIL YOU FIX THEM) -
15) Any deletions from the electronics (WE CAN ONLY ACCOMMODATE WHAT WE KNOW SO PLEASE ASK ACCORDING TO OUR WEBSITE) -
16) Mileage as of current -
17) Mileage spark plugs were last replaced (every year of 7,500 miles recommended) -
18) What date was the software last updated on (IMPORTANT if not please list and understand this might require mailing in if not in database for a read) -
19) Any other notes or information we should know (Type of racing you do, Second ECU, previously tuned, issues, etc) -
20) Dealer it was ordered from (if applicable) or BT Moto Order / Invoice number (found on receipt) -
21) Device serial number (found on back of device or note in the device info section of our software) -
22) Date and time the ECU was read -
23) Date and time of last dealer visit -
25) Country the bike was purchased -
26) How did you hear about us -
27) Do you want the rev limiter raised (if applicable) -

Not really sure...
I only have about 275 miles on the bike so the tune is going to have to wait until spring.
I really had no intention of taking the bike to the dealer for any service (we have five bikes and I do all my own service) and that’s why I was wondering what’s so special about the 600 mile service and what does the dealership do that zi cannot do myself?

I only have about 275 miles on the bike so the tune is going to have to wait until spring.
I really had no intention of taking the bike to the dealer for any service (we have five bikes and I do all my own service) and that’s why I was wondering what’s so special about the 600 mile service and what does the dealership do that zi cannot do myself?
The reason to wait for the 600 mile service is because there may be ECU or other software updates for your bike. If you have the Tune done and then the dealer does an update on the bike, then it’ll cost you another $100 to have the Tune map re-done. You need to restore the stock tune before bringing the bike to the dealer.
But if that doesn’t bother you then feel free to get the tune whenever you want.

Back