What did you do to your R18 today?

xGlv4qr.jpeg
Dude some adventure rider just stole your bike.

First time camping off the bike. Did 2 days in Maine...I cheated because I have a "Pack Mule" in the wife who doesn't mind lugging most of the gear on her F750. She made me buy lunch and dinner every day which I gladly did.

52181025000_84c2018775_b.jpg
52180536396_5574320a91_b.jpg
52180505623_6d39eac2ea_b.jpg
52180782724_9c9116981e_b.jpg
52180538368_03723b91f4_b.jpg
52180536206_259760c1eb_b.jpg
52179511757_8581df3c10_b.jpg

xGlv4qr.jpeg
“Most of the gear”??? Looks like your wife handled ALL of the gear! The R18 FE is far too elegant of a bike to take camping. Looks way out of it’s element in a campground! The riding gear looks more GS like as well.

“Most of the gear”??? Looks like your wife handled ALL of the gear! The R18 FE is far too elegant of a bike to take camping. Looks way out of it’s element in a campground! The riding gear looks more GS like as well.
I disagree. The R18 is a classic bike and classic bikes often went camping. Camping and motorcycles are a perfect match. You are out in nature on the road & while you sleep. Leave hotels to the cage drivers!

I love camping with my R18. It especially works when you use an old-style canvas tent:IMG_0746.jpeg

The answer is definitely 'it depends' on it being camping worthy or not. I can fit all of my camping gear in a Touratech Dry Bag and affix it to the seat. I have BMW's 27L Canvas top bag for R18 ($199 MSRP) on order and will be installing that. I can fit my 2person + bag + mattress + pillow in that very easily. Side luggage is basically taken up by tools, tire plug kit, first aid, 2 packing cubes of clothes and my iPad + Chargers. I still need a tank bag that works with he Bagger / TC for my full frame camera + DJI Mini but I could solo camp off the bag with that 27L top bag. The misses, while she does pack small, makes it impossible for us to 2-up camp off the Bagger. She fit everything we needed for camping in one 35L Mosko bag. the other bag was her 'nice to haves' like a fan, lights, bug spray, water proof and padded LL Bean jackets, gore-tex hat and a bottle of whiskey. For simplicity sake, I would prefer to hotel-camp off the R18 or just take the GS. That's my going forward plan but I did want to make sure it could be done and it certainly could but you have to pack intentionally what you need. If I can find a tank bag, I could lightweight camp off the R18 and I'd do it for 5 days but not longer. I'm going to eventually want warmer campfire gear, booze, a foot rest, stuff like that.

On my GS with Jesse boxes, everything I need to camp that's essential fits in the exhaust side box (about 25L) The table, chair, cookware, comfortable camp clothes, sandals, toiletries, tools, etc all fit in the larger 35L. My top case has always been reserved for electronics and space for a sandwich and 6 pack of beer.

OH and this is state park camping approved. What I mean by that is any camp site that does not have a table and chairs won't work for me and the R18 because I'd need to bring my Helios table and kermit chair and that's when things get really tight on the R18. If there's a camp site with a picnic table, R18 will be okay.

For the riding gear, all I have is Klim suits so I'm going to look like a weirdo henceforth when riding this bike. I have no plans on dressing up like a pirate any time soon and that's okay. I've never looked cool or stylish doing anything.

My only R18 complaint was the seat. I need to see if the TransContinental seat fits the bagger. I want to maintain the OEM heat but I want more cushion. I'm at the point now where I should have just gotten the TC. I'm adding a rear seat bag, Engine guards, longer windscreen and TC seat. I could have just spent $2,000 more up front and gotten a TC with the OEM top case and nicer speakers for free. The bagger does look cooler. I did 600 miles in 3 days and my butt is very sore after the bagger seat. By comparison, 1000 mile days or three 500 mile days on the GS and I'd have no pain on the sergeant seat.

OH and this is state park camping approved. What I mean by that is any camp site that does not have a table and chairs won't work for me and the R18 because I'd need to bring my Helios table and kermit chair and that's when things get really tight on the R18. If there's a camp site with a picnic table, R18 will be okay.
Creative packing & gear selection is needed in that case.

I have a Kermit chair as well & while it is great & comfortable, it's also bulky. I have a GCI aluminum table similar to the Helios & same goes for it. More compact gear like my Helinox table & chair works well with the R18. The Kermit & aluminum table are fine on my GS. Camping on my S1000R taught me to have less bulky gear. Camp clothes that can roll down compactly (synthetics rather than bulky cotton) is another example that really helps with bulk. Additionally another way to save some space is using an Aerostich, with your "camp clothes" under it. No need to pack the camp pants as you are wearing them already.

I've been able to pack a Helinox chair, clothes, toiletries, fire kit, stove & cook kit & food, first aid kit, music speakers, kindle, camp lights & a large battery to charge my phone et al just in the saddlebags of my R18. My sleep system (tent/sleeping pad/bag) fits on the pillion seat. Mind you the Classic bags are 30L combined, whereas the "small" pannier on my GSA is 36L alone, so some bad habits on the GS do need to be reigned in on the R18. The cooking set is the bulky part in my R18 pack. When I eliminate that, I had room for a table & a solar charger for the large battery in the saddlebags. I can grab food at a restaurant. Or I could add a small Kriega to my pillion and carry the cook gear/food as well as my sleep system.

Tool & tire plug kits can be quite bulky as well, so filtering them to what is actually needed matters. As you have the R18B with tubeless tires, a plug kit makes sense. On my Classic with the tubed spoked wheels, it would not help, so I don't carry it. It's a heavy bike, so there are limits to what you'd do in a roadside repair. I'd rather carry an InReach than a big tool kit on the R18, whereas I would take a toolkit on my GS as I have no problem laying the bike on it's side to do some trailside work. The tools that are in the side pod allow me to do most everything around the bike that would be practical given the weight.

Creative packing & gear selection is needed in that case.

I have a Kermit chair as well & while it is great & comfortable, it's also bulky. I have a GCI aluminum table similar to the Helios & same goes for it. More compact gear like my Helinox table & chair works well with the R18. The Kermit & aluminum table are fine on my GS. Camping on my S1000R taught me to have less bulky gear. Camp clothes that can roll down compactly (synthetics rather than bulky cotton) is another example that really helps with bulk. Additionally another way to save some space is using an Aerostich, with your "camp clothes" under it. No need to pack the camp pants as you are wearing them already.

I've been able to pack a Helinox chair, clothes, toiletries, fire kit, stove & cook kit & food, first aid kit, music speakers, kindle, camp lights & a large battery to charge my phone et al just in the saddlebags of my R18. My sleep system (tent/sleeping pad/bag) fits on the pillion seat. Mind you the Classic bags are 30L combined, whereas the "small" pannier on my GSA is 36L alone, so some bad habits on the GS do need to be reigned in on the R18. The cooking set is the bulky part in my R18 pack. When I eliminate that, I had room for a table & a solar charger for the large battery in the saddlebags. I can grab food at a restaurant. Or I could add a small Kriega to my pillion and carry the cook gear/food as well as my sleep system.

Tool & tire plug kits can be quite bulky as well, so filtering them to what is actually needed matters. As you have the R18B with tubeless tires, a plug kit makes sense. On my Classic with the tubed spoked wheels, it would not help, so I don't carry it. It's a heavy bike, so there are limits to what you'd do in a roadside repair. I'd rather carry an InReach than a big tool kit on the R18, whereas I would take a toolkit on my GS as I have no problem laying the bike on it's side to do some trailside work. The tools that are in the side pod allow me to do most everything around the bike that would be practical given the weight.

I would dread to have to plug a tire on this bike. it'd be a super crappy ordeal. Tool kit is very small but at least I could remove a side box, seat, tighten up a mirror and I have some spare T25/T30 OEM bolts if something comes loose.

7AE528E9-8DE0-44E9-A811-7EE41A85B48A.jpeg@adamchandler, you have the camping gear and knowledge sorted. Although I can travel indefinitely (all over the us Canada and Central America) with 30 liters of soft luggage, including my jet boil for dehydrated food. Been doing it long enough that my entire packed gear including tools, tubes and compressor etc, weighs less than most hard bags and frame empty.

That said, you would be sickly jazzed to keep the r18 for 1 or 2 up riding and spend far less than you could imagine on a used 690 or 701 that will rock your camping mind and run circles around the GS off road. (I put 60k on my adventure)

Oh, and chairs are for car camping. There is always something to sit on.

Oh number 2, seat comfort is about fit and even weight distribution not padding. One could sit on a wood seat if it conformed to their butt and upper legs. Look for a custom (not Corbin etc) seat shop in your area where they will make it for ‘you’. I use Rich’s custom seats in the seattle area.

Whew

You guys are all nuts! I guess I'll just have to call myself a poser biker then. LOVE riding, but if it comes to camping, I'll take an SUV all day, every day. I can fit pretty much anything I need in there with plenty of room to spare.

You guys are all nuts! I guess I'll just have to call myself a poser biker then. LOVE riding, but if it comes to camping, I'll take an SUV all day, every day. I can fit pretty much anything I need in there with plenty of room to spare.
I need a remote control,shower and a fresh bed and breakfast while traveling on my bikes.
Not sleeping on the ground.Keeping the bugs off at least while I'm not riding.;)

Well, big news... I removed the pillion seat from my Classic, FE. I do not carry pax and I like the flow line across the rear fender. Here is what I could use help with friends: the little rubber bumpers under the pillion have left permanent marks on the fender paint. I tried a damp soft cloth, to no avail. I can try some regular car wax, or even cut polish but I wish to be cautious. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers.

I’ve usually found however much space you have on whatever vehicle you will fill to use when camping. Sure my SUV has a ton of space & you can bring very bulky glamping gear with you. And I definitely do when I go camping with my kids in the Jeep.

My GSA has 80 liters across the panniers plus a large rack and pillion seat, so I can carry a lot for a bike. I’ve brought a grill to cook on along with a tent that has a garage for the bike to be inside (Redverz), and a full change into motocross gear for more technical single track off-road riding.

But my S1000R was the bike to force me to edit a lot of what I take. Like Gr8adv on his Husky, I can barely carry anything. I use 2 10 liter Kriega‘s and a 20 liter Kriega to carry everything including my sleep system. I use a hammock when I camp on that bike. You do learn that you don’t need as much as you think. A very simple rule I’ve used is if I didn’t use something on a trip, it doesn’t come the next one. If I can have something do double or triple duty, that’s better.

My R18 is splits the difference with 30 liters across the panniers, so I have to be even more frugal with what I take than the GSA. But the space of the pillion allows a decent amount of duffle bag add on for a sleep system which I don’t have the option of with my S1000R.

I’ve been moto-camping for over 20 years now & it is one of my favorite experiences. I know it can appear challenging if you’ve not done it before. But, pulling into camp after a great day’s ride where you’ve traveled thru a variety of environments, setting up everything and then sitting around the campfire with your riding buddies sharing stories of the day and what the next day’s ride will bring while gazing up at the stars and hearing nature around you is a special experience not easily replicated with other vehicles.

I just ordered this for my TC!

Looks and sounds great from the video from their ordering link. When I chose black on the site, it showed the entire system black (plus whatever tip was chosen). The actual pictures however show the black exhaust with the chrome pipes that enter the headers. Can you get the all black, all the way to the header? Please keep us posted in terms of shipping time and post a before and after video if you can.

I just ordered this for my TC!

I hope you ordered the bracket as well.

Back