BMW (Mustang) Seat options breakdown

OK, I took a long shot but and order at
https://www.jpcycles.com/ They have the mustang Backrest that looks (in black) very similar to Longshots picture. It says is for Harleys. They had in stock. Will let you know if fits my Mustang Day Rider Seat.

Mustang Vintage Removeable Driver Backrest​

$233.99
That looks pretty close, if not exact, to the BMW version. I'd guess it is the same item. Put a rubber nub (or similar) on the point of the adjusting screw to prevent scarring the bar. I also set my slip in/out resistance so that I can just pop it off an on without having to remove the seat every time. It really makes a nice difference to the comfort level when the miles start rolling up.

I installed Day Rider seat and it feels slightly lower than stock classic seat. It also pushes you closer the the bars.
I am not sure if it is more comfortable. it feels as I am getting a bit more turbulence from the windshield, could just be my imagination.
I'm leaning towards getting a Day Rider seat. Can you confirm, and anyone else, that it in fact pushes you closer to the bars than the stock R18 Classic stock seat? How about seat height. Is it lower?
Thanks!

I'm leaning towards getting a Day Rider seat. Can you confirm, and anyone else, that it in fact pushes you closer to the bars than the stock R18 Classic stock seat? How about seat height. Is it lower?
Thanks!
According to Mustang, both the Day Rider & Weekender are 27.4 inch seat height which is lower than the stock 28.2 R18 Classic seat. The stock seat has a sort of gentle curve, so there isn't a sharply defined position for you and you could sit further back and up or more forward and down. Both the Day Rider & Weekender have a much more defined lip to provide a backstop. For me it felt like the Weekender pushed me slightly more forward than where I would naturally sit on the stock Classic seat. I also have the backrest and you can adjust how much tilt forward or back it pushes you.IMG_0558.jpegIMG_0556.jpeg

According to Mustang, both the Day Rider & Weekender are 27.4 inch seat height which is lower than the stock 28.2 R18 Classic seat. The stock seat has a sort of gentle curve, so there isn't a sharply defined position for you and you could sit further back and up or more forward and down. Both the Day Rider & Weekender have a much more defined lip to provide a backstop. For me it felt like the Weekender pushed me slightly more forward than where I would naturally sit on the stock Classic seat. I also have the backrest and you can adjust how much tilt forward or back it pushes you.View attachment 4570View attachment 4571
Great information. Thanks!. Looks like the weekender may be a good option for me.

I just got off the phone with Trish at Mustang seats and she gave me a bit of a primer on the offerings by BMW on the seats that are OEM'd by Mustang. As we all know the dealers have little to no information on the seats, so we are left to either buying them blind and hoping that they will be what we want. To me, I am looking for a better seat that doesn't have the requirement of the pillion part.

"Day Rider Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It has slightly more padding then the stock seat and is a more retro style. Seat Height - 27.4"

"The Weekender Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "Day Rider Seat" and has more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.4"

"The Cross Country Seat" - This is a one-piece design. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "The Weekender Seat" and has even more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.7"
I just installed the weekender. Took two people to get it on. Ridiculously difficult install.

I just installed the weekender. Took two people to get it on. Ridiculously difficult install.
That was not my experience. I was able to swap from the stock seat to the Weekender in <10 minutes and I wasn't rushing.

What were the challenges you ran into? I imagine sharing those could help others if they ran into similar issues.

That was not my experience. I was able to swap from the stock seat to the Weekender in <10 minutes and I wasn't rushing.

What were the challenges you ran into? I imagine sharing those could help others if they ran into similar issues.
At the junction between the pillion seat and rider seat, the padding was so tightly mashed together that I couldn't get the ratchet in between the seats to tighten the bolts. Had to have a buddy of mine use a wedge to pry the padding apart so I could get to the bolts.

At the junction between the pillion seat and rider seat, the padding was so tightly mashed together that I couldn't get the ratchet in between the seats to tighten the bolts. Had to have a buddy of mine use a wedge to pry the padding apart so I could get to the bolts.
And of course - ZERO instructions included with the seat.

Yes, lack of instructions in the box is frustrating. But the design is very similar to the stock rider and pillion. I do have a Classic, so I had the stock pillion as a reference.

The pillion on both slides in after you put the bolts in. The stock rider/pillion is 4 main parts: rider seat, a bar with 2 bushings that mate to u sections on the pillion, the strap for the pillion and the pillion itself. The Weekender is 3 main parts. Rider seat, strap and pillion. The pillion has one metal tang u shape in the middle that is to mate up with a silver bushing placed in center hole.

I can see how if you tried to screw it in place it would be harder. Did you install the silver bushing?

Yes, lack of instructions in the box is frustrating. But the design is very similar to the stock rider and pillion. I do have a Classic, so I had the stock pillion as a reference.

The pillion on both slides in after you put the bolts in. The stock rider/pillion is 4 main parts: rider seat, a bar with 2 bushings that mate to u sections on the pillion, the strap for the pillion and the pillion itself. The Weekender is 3 main parts. Rider seat, strap and pillion. The pillion has one metal tang u shape in the middle that is to mate up with a silver bushing placed in center hole.

I can see how if you tried to screw it in place it would be harder. Did you install the silver bushing?
Haha! I see what I did wrong now. With ZERO instructions, I thought that silver bushing was a spacer to be placed on the back where it bolts to the rear fender

Last edited:
I have finally taken a day to ride my new Mustang "Weekender" seat and the improvement over the OEM seat is HUGE. Hitting bumps is no longer an exercise in butt & spine abuse.
Installation was easy, but it should be noted that the new seat also replaces the OEM seat strap with a larger loop and that the OEM rear seat retainer spools are replaced with a single spool behind the front seat. Installing the rear seat onto the bike requires a firm downward pressure at the front half to engage the spool. Not a big deal, but different from the ease of the OEM parts.
View attachment 1118View attachment 1119
Hi, it look very nice too. I wonder if it is posssible to install the driver seat only
(I have senza that the Cross Country comes in a single piece). Thank you!

Hi, it look very nice too. I wonder if it is posssible to install the driver seat only
(I have senza that the Cross Country comes in a single piece). Thank you!
The Weekemder comes in two pieces, then, you can install only the driver seat if you want to. The crosscountry is a single piece, all together

Last edited:
Hi, one question about the side bags. The ones we see in this picture are the standard or the big! Thanks!
Those are the OEM bags that Bmw provided for the R18FE (the bike with fishtails). There are not OEM big or standard. What you see at the pictures are the only one available (OEM)

Those are the OEM bags that Bmw provided for the R18FE (the bike with fishtails). There are not OEM big or standard. What you see at the pictures are the only one available (OEM)
Thank you Luis. In Europe the FE is not provided with bags. You can buy them apart, from BMW. 16 or 27 litres each.

Finally, installed and tested the Weekender Mustang Seat. I had pass from the Stock seat to the Cross-country, again the Stock and now the Weekender. The Cross is, by far, the most comfortable and taller seat. Its tall makes even difference (for better) in the driving position, but for me (and for the beauty or our bike) is ugly because of the pillion. That is why I decided to go for the Weekender (also ugly pillion but removable) and use it as a "solo" seat. Tested for 300km, the Weekender approved the "comfort test" but is not the Cross "without the pillion". There are simnifically differences between both, specially in the height of the driving position. But, balancing Beauty versus little bit less comfort, I prefer the beauty of the overall bike with the Weekender.

Another thing: bought the rider back rest and... is hard to use it, I can't get used to it. Is like if it moves you to the front and... with the (un)existent space for the legs because of the cilinders, I would not recommend it.

Consider I am 180cm (6 feet) tall.

PS: My next modification (probably) will be the Wunderlich Handlebar Riser. Not so sure because is only 25mm (1 inch) taller, but who knows, trying to find reviews about how really improves the driving position...
Hi Luis, I am 1.83 and I have an R18 FE. I am looking for more confort and more cm... ideally I would love a cross country in 2 pieces (I do not need the pillion). If the cross country was in 2 pieces it was the right one for me... but because it's not, I am still esitating between the weekender, the cross country and the high seat from bmw.

According to Mustang, both the Day Rider & Weekender are 27.4 inch seat height which is lower than the stock 28.2 R18 Classic seat. The stock seat has a sort of gentle curve, so there isn't a sharply defined position for you and you could sit further back and up or more forward and down. Both the Day Rider & Weekender have a much more defined lip to provide a backstop. For me it felt like the Weekender pushed me slightly more forward than where I would naturally sit on the stock Classic seat. I also have the backrest and you can adjust how much tilt forward or back it pushes you.View attachment 4570View attachment 4571
Hi! I am looking both for an higher and more confortable seat for my R18 FE. According to you, what is the best compromise between the weekender and the high seat from BMW? Thank you.

So, I put on the weekender seat today. Things are getting better; it only took a month from order to door for mine from Sierra BMW (By the way, long term BMW owner's advice only use the gigantic dealers to order parts. They actually show up) So... the seat is on. It does muck with the appearance of the bike somewhat and as a solo only you mount it on top of the crescent metal seat plate. It looks OK but I would prefer it mounted identically to the stock set under the plate. The tab is chrome and it comes with a longer bolt but the bolt is not the nice BMW branded stainless bolt.

Anywho; I am 6'2 and about 250 pounds and the seat allows a smidge more leg room and is very comfortable. I was expecting some improvement in the ride harshness and that did not happen. Like many others, I have a had a lot of dealings with Mustang/Sargent. You will never be let down by the quality of their offerings. I like its leather-lyke; its better for wet weather.

The seating position does give me a little better control of the bike and it is easier for me to ride the bike fast with the seat (I do ride fast so thats a real plus.) all in all; 600 bucks well spent.

are any of these BMW Branded seats heated? My Bagger OEM seat is heated but I think if I replace it with a Weekender or Day Rider, I'll lose the heated seat. Is that correct?

Back